Wednesday, February 28, 2018

The Shortest Bus Ride

File:Petco store.JPG
Picture from Wikimedia Commons

In the slew of cold, cloudy days, there was finally a day of warm weather and clear skies. My roommate and I decided to take advantage of the fabulous weather last Tuesday and decided to go on an adventure to Petco (just to see some cute animals, not to buy anything). I discovered there was a Trader Joe's not to far from the Petco, so we not only made it a Petco adventure, but also a grocery shopping adventure. My roommate and I most definitely went overboard on the groceries, both of us carrying two heavy paper bags filled with food items. It was difficult enough hauling our hoard of food out of the store, but it was even more so carrying our bags back to the bus stop! When we arrived at our stop, down the hill at the end of the road, we saw our bus was parked sitting next to a Sheetz. It had not started its route yet. So, we figured we could board early just so we can sit down and let our tired arms rest. However, when arriving at the bus, we found it was missing a driver... He was eating at the Sheetz. Disappointed and even more tired than before, we began to trod our way back up the hill to the bus stop.

Then, like a glorious mechanical angel, another bus stopped by and opened its doors. It's driver called our to us, "I can give you two a lift!" Being oblivious to what he was suggesting, I told him that we needed to go back to campus and our bus is down there. He laughed and told us he was watching us struggle with our bags and knew our bus wasn't going to start its route for another fifteen minutes, then he offered us to drop us off at the bus stop so we could wait there. We joyfully hoped on and relished our free bus ride up the hill. The stop probably wasn't even a block's distance away, but we really appreciated that bus driver for saving us some struggle and for being so gosh darn nice! We got home just fine that day, and to this day I still think that driver is one of the nicest men I've ever met.

It's little acts of kindness like this that I think makes life so good. Just like how one bad thing can ruin your day, something really small but good can make someone's day just that much better, and I think it's great. I honestly believe if more people did nice things for other, we wouldn't be nearly as depressed, angry, or anxious. Going out of our way to do something for others doesn't unnoticed. That person will appreciate it, and both parties feel good about it. Positive feelings don't only go a long way, but it travels, too. Making someone else feel good makes them want to make someone else feel good, and so on, and so on. Even if we don't do anything grand or spectacular, or gain mass fame and recognition, those little things we do for others makes us feel more fulfilled. It's the reason why I made this blog in the first place - to appreciate those little things and to let others know they can experience similar feelings too, wherever they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Music Says What Words Cannot

I have been surrounded for pretty much my entire life. In my mom's belly I listened to all the smart baby music, Mozart, Haydn, Beethove...