Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Love is for Everyone

Image result for valentines day
Valentine's Day

Happy Valentine's Day, everyone! As much as I'd like to join everyone in the celebration of love and affection, unfortunately I am committed to a long-distance relationship, so giving my boyfriend roses and chocolates isn't really a feasible thing for me. There is a lot of flak towards long-distance relationships that I find pretty unsettling. I know they don't work all the time and it's very hard and demanding on the persons involved, but a lot of dedication and trust goes into long-distance, which is why I think they deserve a bit more credit than they get.

Personal tangent aside, I want to talk about what Valentines day means to me personally. I think it's a bit silly we have a day dedicated to loving others... when that should just be a thing you do every day. Sure, it's a good excuse to do something special, but that's what birthdays and anniversaries are for! Plus, it's not like we get this holiday off, so having valentines day on a weekday sure does suck for the busy working couple (though I suppose it'd be the responsibility of the couple to plan things ahead of time, but not everyone plans things ahead). Plus, the chocolate and flower-making industry loves to cash in on this day and shove romantic tid-bits down your throat for double or triple the normal price (or for "sale"). I think, if you really wanted to do something special for someone you care about, skip the flowers and cheap chocolate and go for something that means a lot to that person (but if your boo really likes flowers and chocolate then by all means give them flowers and chocolate - just make sure it's quality chocolate).


Though lovers tend to get the spotlight on Valentine's Day, I want to emphasize that this is a day for everyone to get love. For all you single people out there, tell a family member or friend you care about them. That'll make their day, I'm sure of it. If you got a pet, treat them today! If you have a room mate, throw 'em some love! Valentine's Day should not be limited to lovers and couples. It should be a day to express love and affection for anyone and anything, even yourself. There's been a rising trend of "table for one" or "me dates", for the single people going out by themselves. It's awkward sitting and eating alone when everyone else has friends or a significant other with them. However, I think the more we encourage loners it's ok to do things by yourself - without the social pressure of being around people all the time - we'll become more comfortable with being alone with our thoughts, and appreciating ourselves. 

Even though I won't get to spend this Valentine's Day with my boyfriend, I'll still have the memories I have being with him, how it felt to hold hands with him, to hug and snuggle and laugh with him. I want everyone to remember what it feels like to be love. I want you to treasure it. Whether it's getting your first kiss from your boyfriend or girlfriend, getting that big warm hug from your mom or dad, or playing with your dog or cat after a long day. Everyone has love, and that is a beautiful thing. 

1 comment:

  1. This post was so cute and heartfelt! To me, Valentine's Day is about spreading love - whether that is to your boyfriend, parents, sisters, brothers, best friends or pets! Long distance relationships sound tough, but you're right - previous good and warm memories will surely help!

    ReplyDelete

Music Says What Words Cannot

I have been surrounded for pretty much my entire life. In my mom's belly I listened to all the smart baby music, Mozart, Haydn, Beethove...