Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Spring's First Flowers - Blooming Near You!

Alright, so we're getting another wave of snow and huge gusts of wind. It might not feel like Spring, but the flowers are telling us otherwise. A few species of flowers have already begun to wake up, and I've been enjoying looking at them all come to life. Something about seeing this new life makes me super happy inside, and I encourage them to keep on growing and being beautiful while they last. More species will definitely pop up as spring progresses, but here are the few that have already arrived on our campus:

File:Snowdrop bells.jpg
Snowdrops by Wikimedia 

These adorable flowers were the first ones to bloom, still with a layer of snow on the ground too! These small, white bell-shaped flowers are called Snowdrops - a very appropriate name. I know a lot of these grow in the mulch patches around the trees by Pollock Road. At first I thought these were a tiny white daffodils, but it turns out they weren't! This species of flower bloom during Winter, though I guess they had a bit of a late start due to all the snow we got from those snowstorms. Speaking of daffodils...

plant, flower petals, daffodil, leaves, narcissus, nature
Daffodils from Pixino

I had these bright yellow flowers all over my neighborhood. I would always look forward spotting the new daffodils of the season and loved how much energy they gave to the green hills by my house. The ones in my town always bloomed rather late, around late spring or beginning of summer. I knew summer was coming close if I saw daffodils in my front yard. However, the ones on campus are blooming right now! There are a patch of them growing in front of the Paterno Library next to the mall. I guess they must be different species if they're blooming at such different times. Apparently some may even bloom in autumn. Personally I think daffodils aren't the greatest smelling flowers, but they sure do look great. 

Witch-hazel (Hamamelis virginiana), NYBG
Witch Hazel by Kristine Paulus

This one I've also never seen before at home. This flowering tree has little yellow flowers that cover its branches before it grows in its leaves. I don't remember where I saw this tree, but I'm sure it's around the Library... or maybe the HUB? Similar to the daffodil, some species of witch hazel bloom in the fall, or they can bloom in the spring like this one on campus does. I've only seen one or two of these trees, but perhaps there are more scattered about the campus. So far this has been the only tree to flower since the end of winter, but I'm sure more will follow suit as it gets warmer.

One last flower I'd like to mention is the Mountain Laurel. One, they're everywhere on campus, but they're dormant right now until the summer. Two, mountain laurels are Pennsylvania's state flower! These flowers are very thin and delicate, and also incredibly beautiful. They can range from reds, pinks, whites, and even purple in some species! I know flowers might be a bit of a lame topic to talk about to some people, but I appreciate the color and liveliness they give to a landscape. I'm done with the white, brown, and blues (thanks road salt) of winter, and I'm craving color! I do however give my condolences to those who suffer from  pollen allergies. May you live these last few days of clear air in peace. 

File:Kalmia Latifolia.jpg
White Mountain Laurels

1 comment:

  1. Annabelle, I definitely agree with you that spring flowers make me so happy. I know when they start blooming that I can begin to consider escaping my seasonal depression (winter just really isn't my thing). Over the weekend, my roommate, my dad, and I went for a hike on the Appalachian Trail and just getting outside to experience some fresh air and some flowers was the highlight of my week. I've lived in Pennsylvania my whole life so Mountain Laurel has always been special to me (plus I've spent a fair amount of time hiking around mountains) and I always love to take in the beauty of this plant's blooms in the heat and humidity of summertime!

    ReplyDelete

Music Says What Words Cannot

I have been surrounded for pretty much my entire life. In my mom's belly I listened to all the smart baby music, Mozart, Haydn, Beethove...