Thursday, November 16, 2017

The Thanksgiving Takeover



Alright boys, here's the game plan: Sleep for 12 hours a day, start on the turkey, move on to stuffing and mashed potatoes last, always save room for that pie. When the next morning hits, down those leftovers like no tomorrow - don't forget to finish that pie.


Image result for thanksgiving
Photo originally from here


Thanksgiving has become a holiday focused on food and Black Friday sales. It gets little enough recognition due to Halloween and Christmas overtaking it in the market as they're both much more profitable holidays than Thanksgiving. The best way to advertise Thanksgiving seems to be slapping a turkey on the window and calling it a day. People seem to forget the reason why we have this holiday - to give thanks, thanks-giving.

The food and the time off is great, but Thanksgiving is time to appreciate and be thankful everything we have and the people around us. Food has always been the best way to share time together with family and friends. It doesn't matter if you have turkey, pie, or what have you, as long as you're with people you love and care about.

I know a lot of people on campus have been homesick and dying to go back to their families, myself included. So I decided to post about this to remind everyone to be thankful and happy for what they have, and remember that they've come this far in life with help and support. I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving/Fall break!

Now... where's that turkey...

2 comments:

  1. Annabelle, I agree that sometimes Thanksgiving feels more like it's all about consumption than giving thanks, and I think it's good to recenter ourselves and take some time to appreciate everything we have, be it material things or not. Personally, I can't wait to spend time with my family and spread the love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seriously love the tone of this post. The conversational introduction made me do that sort-of laugh by exhaling a little bit more (which means I thought it was really funny). But, I also totally agree with your sentiment here. I absolutely HATE that the Black Friday sales have now even extended into Thursday for some places! I mean come on! Thanksgiving should be about family and stuff, not literally climbing over people...

    ReplyDelete

Music Says What Words Cannot

I have been surrounded for pretty much my entire life. In my mom's belly I listened to all the smart baby music, Mozart, Haydn, Beethove...